BLUE WAVE 16U-UNDERCLASS
Blue Wave is finalizing rosters for teams that will resume playing baseball this summer in accordance to the City of Irvine’s (www.cityofirvine.org) four-phase plan for reopening City facilities and fields.
There is no access today, but the city anticipates opening baseball fields in Phase 3 in early June or July.
During Phase 3, Blue Wave will be able to practice at the OC Great Park and play single games only during this reopening phase. Tournaments will not be allowed until Phase 4, which is projected to be mid-July to August.
Each Phase will also include social distancing guidelines and other city policies, some of which we have outlined below.
When Irvine opens Phase 3, Blue Wave will resume operations with the following teams:
- 14U for incoming 9th graders with Coach Aron Garcia.
- 16U for incoming sophomores (2023) and juniors (2022) that play at the JV level in high school. This team is also coached by Aron Garcia.
- 18U for incoming juniors (2022) and seniors (2021) that play at the varsity level in high school. Coached by Carlos Cornejo, a top local coach with varsity high school coaching experience, including Mater Dei.
When Irvine opens Phase 4, Blue Wave will resume operations with the following teams:
- 13U for incoming 8th graders with Coach Chris Reiland.
- 11U/12U New Fall Teams starting with tryouts in August for September 1 start. Coach Carlos Cornejo and assistants.
TO START OUT
In Phase 3, we expect to have one fielding practice session each week for our 14U, 16U & 18U teams that will also play in a local league that will be based at the OC Great Park, with one to two games each week, depending on availability and other guidelines and restrictions.
Though 16U & 18U teams will practice initially in Phase 3, these teams will mostly play games and local tournaments and showcases that are available in late summer and into Fall.
We also expect to have some access to batting cages in Phase 3 at the OC Great Park for our teams, but the numbers of players we can have at one time will be limited. We eventually expect to regain access to the cages at Northwood, but most likely not until Fall, definitely not until school resume.
Our teams for practice sessions in Phase 3 will be limited to 14 players on any one field at a time with 2 coaches. Our single game rosters will be limited to 12 players and 2 coaches. We can add up to 2 more players/pitchers for 9-inning games.
When Phase 4 opens, we will resume 13U and 11U teams with open tryouts in August and be able to conduct weekly fielding and hitting sessions with twice-weekly league games with limited tournaments mixed in to start.
Blue Wave 13U and 11U teams in Phase 4 will be limited to 12 players per team for either practice or games with 2 coaches per team.
SOCIAL DISTANCING & GUIDELINES
We are still awaiting social distancing and guidelines from the city and anticipate that spectators (including parents) will be limited at both practice sessions and initial games during these phases. Once we receive the city’s guidelines we will implement them in our practice and game plans that will most like include:
- Players will be encouraged to keep reasonable distance from teammates whenever possible.
- Refrain from touching your face with your hands unless you use a hand sanitizer, either provided in the dugout or your bat bag.
- Hand sanitize your hands if you handle the ball in defense. Do not touch the ball in offense.
- Do not come to practice or games if you are sick or have a fever.
- Do not share equipment. Use only your cap, glove, bat and helmet – do not borrow from any teammate. Keep spares in your car.
- No Food, Snacks, Seeds, Gum at practices or games.
- Water or sports drink only, always keep in your bag, not around dugout.
- No spitting.
- No bump fists, no handshake after games.
NEW PLAYER RELEASE MANDATORY
Upon reopening, each player and parents will need to execute a new liability release that will include Covid-19 language and Blue Wave will also execute new team insurance policies for the city. Player releases will be provided prior to attending the first practice we can return.
NEED YOUR STATUS NOW!
Meantime, all returning and new players need to contact Blue Wave directly by eMail at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm that you want to play as we will not be able to do a traditional “tryout” for players.
Simply eMail the player’s:
- Birth Date:
- Cell Phone:
Players are encouraged to eMail now as each team will have limited roster spots, basically 2 catchers, five infielder, and five outfielders (including pitchers).
COSTS TO BE DETERMINED
Returning players receive priority and will have a credit (due to shortened March) to apply to any fees in restarting. Cost for practice and game fees once we resume will be set once field allocations and costs are finalized. Blue Wave is a non-profit, so the costs for field, games, operations, and coaching costs are basically divided equally between players.
There is no cost to reserve a team spot at present, just send the eMail above and we will get back to you.
For more info @ (949) 202-7748 or eMail email@example.com